Browsing products >
Sorry, no items matching those criteria.
In 1899 E.J. Jenner opened Jenner Manufacturing Company on St. Marys Street. Mr. Jenner made hard stick candies, peanut brittles, and 5 cent fudge bars. About 1910, J.W. Judson bought part ownership of the company and constructed a new factory on a part of the old Judson Ranch, which is now South Flores Street. In the 30s Judson added a starch department and started manufacturing candies with jelly and creme centers such as fruit drops, orange slices, jelly beans, and easter eggs. Mr. Judson started experimenting, trying to make a more tart jelly bean, and ended up inventing the sour, one of the companys most popular items.
In 1941 J.W. Judsons sons purchased the company from Mr. Jenner and in 1945 changed the name to Judson Candies. Mr. Judsons son George Jr. then invented another popular item, the chewy praline. Pralines used to be prepared by scooping up the batter with an ice cream scooper, however that process was mechanized using an electronic depositor developed by Southwest Research Institute. In 1965 Judson Candies was purchased by the Pearl Brewing Company, which was then purchased by Southdown, Inc. In July 1983, Judson Candies was purchased by Basil Atkinson Sr., Dr. Basil Atkinson Jr., and family, and renamed Judson-Atkinson Candies. In 1998, the company moved from South Flores to its present location on Dividend.